Our Education System
I came across the cartoon above on facebook, and it instantly grabbed my attention. I would like to relate it to our current education system. It is easy to assume that those who scored straight As in exams (UPSR, PMR & SPM) are intelligent, while those with more Cs and Ds are less intelligent. Well...this is not fair.
'One must have intelligence only for what one is doing.' (Edgar Degas)
Always remember that you have qualities and skills that other people do not have and you should be proud of these and believe in yourself. Howard Gardner, a psychologist at Harvard University, came out with the theory of multiple intelligence which state that not only do human beings have many different ways to learn and process information, but that these are independent of each other. He listed seven intelligence:
- Linguistic intelligence - this concerns language and how we use it. Writers, poets, lawyers and speakers are among those who have high linguistic intelligence.
- Logical-mathematical intelligence - this is associated with calculation and logical reasoning (scientific and mathematical thinking).
- Musical intelligence - to do with musical appreciation as well as performing and composing music.
- Bodily-kinaesthetic intelligence - associated with physical skills like sport, dancing and other aspects of movement.
- Spatial intelligence - to do with art and design, as well as finding your way around.
- Interpersonal intelligence - to do with interacting with people socially and sensitively. Educators, salespeople, religious and political leaders and counsellors all need a well-developed interpersonal intelligence.
- Intrapersonal intelligence - concerned with understanding yourself, to appreciate your feelings, fears, motivations and abilities.